Sunday, March 3, 2019

An Arab Israeli Right-winger Who Wants To Be Safe - by Sheri Oz

...The most disastrous thing that happened to me as I moved from the left side of the political map to the right was that I was called rather unpleasant names by some of my leftist friends (all of my friends were leftists) and dropped by a few of them. But my life was never threatened. I was able to find new friends on Facebook since I could be open about my views and find other like-minded individuals around the country. Sayid cannot do this.

Sheri Oz..
Israel Diaries..
03 March '19..

I met an Arab Israeli who belongs to a right-wing party. That does not happen much. Sayid (not his real name) is not running for office. He is just a rank and file member alongside Jewish Israelis who believe in the right-wing ideology. A young academic in his thirties, he lives in an Arab village and grew up just like thousands of other Arab Israelis. But he pines for the freedom to speak his mind, to have the right to voice his opinions openly, to break the isolation he experiences in his own community. To not-need me to use a pseudonym for interviews like this one.

He once did try to stand up for Israel, the country he grew to love. He wanted to serve in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). But after being the target of serious threats to his life, he desisted. To this day, he still hurts over the loss of the opportunity he was forced to abandon.

Did you always support Israel, or is that something that developed at some point along the way?


(Continue to Full Post)

Updates throughout the day at http://calevbenyefuneh.blogspot.com. If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.Twitter updates at LoveoftheLand as well as our Love of the Land page at Facebook which has additional pieces of interest besides that which is posted on the blog. Also check-out This Ongoing War by Frimet and Arnold Roth. An excellent blog, very important work. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment