Monday, January 10, 2011

Running to Tiveria: Back at the Tiveria Marathon

Yarden Frankl
Crossing the Yarden
09 January '11

A quick update from last week’s post. A representative of the Jerusalem marathon was in Tiveria and told us that they were NOT going to change the route — contrary to media reports. This now seems to be a fight between Meretz (left-wing Israeli political party) members of the Jerusalem City Council and the Mayor’s office. For the time being, Adidas will stay out. Certainly the publicity does not hurt our cause, so good job to all who sent letters to Adidas.

Now, while that marathon is still 2 months away, let’s talk about Thursday’s Tiveria Marathon. Those who have followed my adventures know that last year, the last half of the marathon was complete hell for me as I misjudged the heat and didn’t drink enough. I ended up dehydrating and almost crawling across the finish line. While I do cherish the fact that I was able to finish, I was quite miserable at my own stupidity. If only I could do it over I thought at the time, I would do it better by being smarter.

Well, one year later, I got my second chance. If I had trained a lot last year, I trained even harder this year. Unless I was in an airplane, I would not miss a training run. I ran my long runs with guys who are a lot faster than me just so I would push myself to keep up. I woke up at four in the morning and drove to Bet Shemesh every Friday and many Wednesdays. I did speed workouts every week. For four months, I was consumed with the drive to be at my best in time for the marathon.

(Read full "Running to Tiveria: Back at the Tiveria Marathon")

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment