Tuesday, June 2, 2009

State Department 1 June Briefing: Refuse to take stand if Obama honors commitments of previous presidents



Robert Wood
Deputy Department Spokesman
Daily Press Briefing

Washington, DC

June 1, 2009

(This is the middle of the press briefing. For full transcript click here)

QUESTION: Is the letter binding or not on this Administration?

MR. WOOD: Look, what I'm saying to you, James, is we have - there are a
series of obligations that Israel and the Palestinians have undertaken.

QUESTION: I haven't asked about their obligations and what they've
undertaken. I've asked about a letter that this country sent to Israel. I'd
like you to address that letter.

MR. WOOD: Well --

QUESTION: Is it binding on this Administration?

MR. WOOD: Well, this Administration is - as I said, has laid out its
proposals, its strategy for moving forward. And that's about the best I can
help you with on that, James.

QUESTION: Does it entail that letter?

MR. WOOD: I've said what I can say on this right now.

QUESTION: Robert, do you realize that by not saying yes, indeed the U.S.
Government continues to be bound by the letter that former President George
W. Bush sent, you are leaving open in the air the possibility that it does
not see itself as bound?

MR. WOOD: I don't believe I'm doing that at all. What I'm saying to you is
we have had a series of discussions with our Israeli and Palestinian
partners. We've had discussions about their obligations and what both sides
need to do. Both sides are well aware of what they need to do, and they know
that we are trying to help them meet their obligations. And we'll continue
to do that.

And I'm just not going to get into the substance of what a previous
administration may have agreed to. I'm focused on what this Administration
is trying to do right now. And that's where we are.

Okay, thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment