Monday, January 30, 2012

Meet Oren Almog: Blind Terror Victim Volunteers to the IDF

idfblog.com..
29 January '12..





Every soldier of the IDF has a unique background and story, yet some soldiers have a truly astonishing tale to tell. Meet Oren Almog:

“[It is] true that I suffer from blindness and have scars, but I decided that I’m still 
like everyone and so I enlisted.”
                                                                                Credit: Yediot Ahronot

Oren lost five members of his family as well his eyesight in the 2003 Maxim Restaurant suicide bombing in Haifa, where 21 people were killed and 51 were wounded. Oren quickly became the face of the second intifada, and despite losing his eyesight at a very young age, he insisted over the years on being treated just like his friends.

Three days ago, nine years after the atrocity, Oren walked up to the ceremonial stage unassisted by either a walking cane or a seeing-eye dog, and swore an oath to the IDF to the applause and the tears of everyone in attendance.



Pvt. Oren Almog at his swearing-in ceremony on January 26th
Credit: HOTחדש
“As someone who was hit pretty hard by terrorism I am proud to serve an organization [the IDF] that aims to protect the security of Israel, to prevent terrorism, and to protect its residents,” he said later with a smile. Oren volunteered to the army as he was not conscripted due to his handicap; however, he has nevertheless been accepted into an undisclosed intelligence unit.

“I want my father and grandfather to be proud of me,” he said. “I was raised by them to serve, if I had not enlisted I would feel a very big missed opportunity. I am proud that I’ve decided to undertake this trying task, and contribute back to the state.”

Link: http://www.idfblog.com/2012/01/29/lost-eyesight-ability-achieve-dream/

Updates throughout the day at http://calevbenyefuneh.blogspot.com. If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
. 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful young man! What a hero! How lucky is Israel to have soldiers like this Oren! To hell with our enemies. Let them rant and rage. We should focus on men like Oren, and all the blessings that Israel enjoys.
    Batya Casper www.israelathebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Batya for your comment, which I think expresses the thoughts of many who have read about Oren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious story and what a precious young man. May HaShem help him to grow and become very strong in his heart, even like King David, and may HaShem Who can heal anything even heal his eyes, Amein!

    ReplyDelete