Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Maybe something positive can come out of this ugliness - by Yahya Mahamid

...He gets up and gives me an innocent smile and waves. I smile back . Another bomb follows immediately after, above us this time and we are told to retract behind cover. I don't see him again but I hope the situation will improve for him and me one day.

Yahya Mahamid..
08 April '19..
w/permission from author

Sitting with my back to the metal barrier, I take a second to adjust my helmet when all of a sudden I hear a loud bang against the barrier. It's started- the Friday riots on the Gaza border. I adjust my Kevlar vest, take a breath and stand up to take a look at the other side, all while trying to keep as much of my body under cover.

I'm shocked to see mothers going hand and hand with their kids. Yes, kids, not older than 10-13 coming to the weekly protest as if it were a normal Friday activity.

Our orders are clear. Respect human life and the purity of our arms, it's nothing new after all; it's the IDF code of ethics and that's how we always operate.

I take my sharpshooter sight and start scanning the crowds looking for anything suspicious (bombs & guns). While looking through my sight, I start smelling the familiar smell of burned tires. I know that tear gas will follow so I put on my gas mask and look at the madness that is assembling in front of my eyes.

The adults, mothers & fathers I assume, sitting on the green grass plane enjoying some cold drinks and snacks, while their kids are running towards the security fence, throwing rocks and anything they can get their hands on at us.

I take cover after another rock hits the barrier again. I could've sworn that these rocks travel almost as fast as my bullet. I adjust my protective glasses and take another peak-we can't have the security barrier get damaged.

I stand up again to take a look at the crowd that's growing like a hate tumor on steroids and suddenly I hear an explosion. I look through my sight again, while looking through the black & grey crowd.

I see him. He's sitting with a large blue hoodie, looking straight at me. I take a look at him through my sight to get a closer look and he is just sitting there, looking straight at me like he's staring into my soul. He's not older than 10 years old


I will never forget the look on his face, like he has a million questions on his mind, not reacting to the screams, tear gas, burned tires and the electrified atmosphere filled with anger.

He just sits there, looking at me like he wants to ask me "when this madness will end?" .. I look at him, wave, and give him the OK sign, hoping to make my first Gazan friend.

Maybe something positive can come out of this ugliness.

He gets up and gives me an innocent smile and waves. I smile back . Another bomb follows immediately after, above us this time and we are told to retract behind cover.

I don't see him again but I hope the situation will improve for him and me one day.

I call him Little Blue Hood.

***************************************

جلست وظهري للحاجز الحديدي، عدلت خوذتي وفجأة سمعت ضجيجاً. قد بدأت مظاهره يوم الجمعة المعتادة بجانب الحدود في قطاع #غزة. اخذت نفساً عميقاً ووقفت لرؤية الجهة الأخرى للحاجز.

تفاجأت حزناً لرؤية امهات تجر ابنائها الى المظاهرة، نعم، أطفالا، لا يتعدى اعمارهم ال 13 ربيعا وكأنه لا يكفي سنون الخوف آلتي عاشوها ،ويجرونهم للموت ،فقط جاؤوا لإقامة المظاهرة العنيفه المعتادة على الحدود.

أوامرنا كانت واضحة منذ البدء، أنا كجندي واجب عليي إحترام حياة الانسان وطاهرة سلاحي، ليست بأوامر جديده علينا، هذا هو دستور نزاهة المهنة لكل جندي في جيش الدفاع.

اخذت قناصي وبدات بتفحص المهاجمين كباحث عن أي شيء مشبوه ومهدد كقنابل او سلاح. خلال عملي تصاعدت رائحة المطاط المشتعل. وكنت قد تعلمت من تجربتي أن الغاز المسيل للدموع سوف يهيمن على المنطقة في الوقت القريب، تبعا لذلك وضعت قناع الغاز وعاودت التمعن ولامست بنظري كميه التهور والحماقه المفهومة ضمنا التي تجمعت أمامي، أطفالا تفعل ما أُملى عليهم فعله،دون ألخوف على حياتهم، ومعاملتهم كدرعاً ورقم جثةاً جديد.

الأهل كمسؤولين، يجلسون على سهل العشب الاخضر ينظرون من بعيد كأنهم يشاهدون فليم ويتمتعون بالمشروبات الباردة والمكسرات، ويشاهدون ابنائهم يقفزون ويقتربون الى الحاجز الامني، يرمون الحجاره واي شيء ممكن علينا.
انا احتميت خلف الحاجز مره اخرى بعد ان ضُربت حجارةّ اخرى خلف الحاجز.

فجأة،وبعد وقوع انفجارا! اكملت بحثي بين تجمهر الأطفال من حولي،يهاجمون وكانهم مشبعين بالكراهية والحقد.
رأيته، كان يجلس امامي بالضبط يرتدي سترته الزرقاء، كان ينظر اليي مباشرة، وكانه يحدق مباشرة في روحي. لم يتعدى عمره العاشرة ربيعاً.

لم ولن انسى ملامح وجهه البريئة، ينظر إليي وكأن لديه كل الاسئله في العالم تدور في رأسه. غير مبالي بكل التكبيرات المسموعة، الصراخ، الغاز او الاطارات المحروقة. وكان الجو مليء بالجنون ولكن هذا لم يأثر به قط.
اختبئ هنا، حيث جلس محدقاً بي وكانه يريد أن يسألني "متى تنتهي هذه الحماقه؟.." نظرت إليه ملوحاً بيدي ومبتسما، لربما كانت هذه بداية صداقه وغريبه على حدود القطاع.
سرحت للحظه،حين خففت عليه خوفه وفهم أنني لن أذيه،تسائلت هل من الممكن ان يخرج شيء جيد من كل هذا القبح؟
وقف وابتسم لي بابتسامته البريئه ولوح لي بيده..
سمعنا صوت انفجار مجددا، .. عاودنا الاختباء من وراء الحاجز.

وقفت بعد ثوانٍ اتفقده ولم اراه ... لقد إختفى بين الفوضى مجدداً، اتمنى ان اراه مجددا، صديقي من قطاع غزة.
صديقي ذو السترة الزرقاء.

Updates throughout the day at http://calevbenyefuneh.blogspot.com. If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.Twitter updates at LoveoftheLand as well as our Love of the Land page at Facebook which has additional pieces of interest besides that which is posted on the blog. Also check-out This Ongoing War by Frimet and Arnold Roth. An excellent blog, very important work. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment