Sunday, October 9, 2011

‘What wonderful miracles happened there!’ ‘I’m a secular Jew, I don’t believe in miracles. ..'

Love of the Land
09 October '11





From "We had no choice but to win" :

“From the moment that I assumed command over the central Golan Heights (taking over from Brigade 188, which was nearly wiped out during those days of fighting) until the last day of the war, the Syrians had no idea, we just simply pushed them from one line to the other,” Danon said.

How do you explain this achievement?

[Ori]Or recalled a correspondence he shared with a soldier from the brigade. “A religious soldier from the brigade wrote to me after reading my book about the war (Ele ha’ahim sheli, “These are my brothers”) and he described to me his experiences without knowing what transpired in the brigade high command during those days,” Or said. “He summed it up in this sentence: ‘What wonderful miracles happened there!’ I wrote back to him: ‘I’m a secular Jew, I don’t believe in miracles. The people who won here are the soldiers and commanders that had faith in one another.’ It was during the war that this spirit began to coalesce within the brigade.”

Such a loss, such a misunderstanding, that his "secular" education left such an impression. Do miracles exclude "soldiers and commanders that had faith in one another", or the opposite?

Yoab saw that he faced enemies on two sides and chose the elite troops of Israel to deploy against Aram. he put the rest of his men under the command of his brother Avishai, and deployed them against the Ammonites. 

Yoav said, "If Aram proves stronger than I, you come to my aid, and if the Ammonites prove stronger than you, I will come to your aid. Be firm and resolute, for our people, and for the cities of our God, and God will do what is proper in his sight.

Yoav and the troops with him then proceeded to to fight against Aram, who fled before him. ...

II Samuel 10:9-10:13

Faithful commanders, faithful soldiers, together, fighting for their people, and for those cities and land, deeded them by God. Their defense, these soldiers responsibility, and the expectation. Three thousand years ago, thirty-eight years ago,  that continues today. A joint effort, including miracles.

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment