For those who are home, and for those who are on the way. For those who support the historic and just return of the land of Israel to its people, forever loyal to their inheritance, and its restoration.
The rights to compensation of Jewish refugees from Arab countries and Iran, 22 February 2010
The purpose of this Law is to protect the rights to compensation of Jewish refugees from Arab countries and Iran in the framework of peace negotiations in the Middle East.
In this Law --
"Refugee Jews from Arab countries and Iran" - who are any of the following:
(1) He is a citizen of Israel*, or lived there before the establishment of the state;
(2) He was a resident of Arab countries or Iran, and left mostly because he was persecuted on account of his Jewishness and his inability to defend himself against such persecution.
(3) He left property** he owned in his country of origin
**"Property" - land, assets, cash, rights, and other property seized by government order.
3. Negotiations to achieve peace
In negotiations to achieve peace in the Middle East, the government must include the issue of providing compensation for loss of property to Jewish refugees from Arab countries and Iran, including property owned by Jewish communities in these countries.
The Prime Minister is to be in charge of the implementation of this Law.
Benjamin Netanyahu Prime Minister
Shimon Peres President
Reuven Rivlin Speaker of the Knesset
* Although the Law applies only to Israeli citizens, a mechanism is being sought to cover Jewish refugees living outside Israel, similar to that for Holocaust survivors resident outside Israel.
I visited Hevron in November 2000 after the outbreak of the Rosh Hashanah War to see what could be done to assist in the face of the growing daily attacks on the community. After returning to work for the community in the summer of 2001, a bond and a love was forged that grows to this day. My wife Melody and I merited to be married at Ma'arat HaMachpela and now host visitors from throughout the world every Shabbat as well as during the week. Our goal, "Time to come Home!"