Monday, March 19, 2012

"If I forget thee, oh Jerusalem"

Yosef..
19 March '12..

Last Wednesday, I attended an excellent presentation at the Menachem Begin Heritage Center entitled "Jerusalem: How Important Is It to the Muslims?" For anyone not aware of the ongoing incitement, promotion, and growth of "Islamic Zionism", now would be a good time to redirect one's attention.

This from Palestinian Media Watch:

Official Palestinian Authority TV has produced and broadcast a music video imitating the Jewish tradition regarding Jerusalem, mimicking the Biblical expression "If I forget thee, oh Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill, may my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember thee," [Psalms 137:5]. This verse from the Book of Psalms expresses Jewish longing for Jerusalem after its destruction and the Jewish exile.

The song broadcast on PA TV and performed by an Egyptian singer includes scenes from the markets in the old city of Jerusalem, Arab children playing, the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the Dome of the Rock and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, blended with scenes of riots, stone-throwing, and clashes with Israeli soldiers in Jerusalem. No Jewish holy sites or landmarks are shown and the only Israelis seen are soldiers.



The song, which mimics the Jewish longing for Jerusalem described in the Bible, includes the following lyrics:

"May my right arm forget me, may my left arm forget me.
May the light of my eyes and the openings of songs forget me, if I forget Jerusalem."

At this point, they may have very well raised an entire generation of youth to place Al Quds at the center of their aspirations. As for ourselves ...? Is there a message here?

Updates throughout the day at http://calevbenyefuneh.blogspot.com. If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.Twitter updates at LoveoftheLand
.

No comments:

Post a Comment