Tuesday, May 17, 2011

There Are No Liberals in a Foxhole

West Bank Mama
16 May '11

http://westbankmama.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/there-are-no-liberals-in-a-foxhole/

It may be true that there are no athiests in a foxhole, but I think that you can add that there are no liberals in a foxhole either. (For my younger readers who may not understand the expression, a foxhole was a trench used in World War I. The fact that there are no athiests there refers to the fact that even people who claim they do not believe in G-d get religion very quickly when fearing for their life.)

I thought of this yesterday as I listened to the news in Israel. When I heard about the Syrians tearing down part of the fence in the Golan and entering by the hundreds, and the fact that the IDF fired at them and killed at least one, I expected the usual liberal wringing of hands at the death of a (supposedly) unarmed man. Instead I heard most of the radio personalities express over and over, “How could this happen?” or “I don’t think we have ever seen something like this!” It took me awhile to understand what I was hearing, but after about an hour it clicked.

These radio announcers (almost all left-wing, to varying degrees) were scared. They were not concerned about the death of the Syrian, they were frightened that the IDF was not prepared for this incident. Underneath the fear there was a bit of anger too.

I guess when you know the IDF has your back, you can afford to criticize and harp on every incident and take the sides of your enemies, in the self-righteous belief that you are only concerned about human rights. It is really easy to bash the soldiers when they keep the wolves from the door, but if those wolves get too close for comfort, then things begin to look very different.

As I posted in my series about the change to the right in Israel, being right-wing and pro-Zionist is becoming more popular and more accepted for a variety of reasons. Waking up to the fact that there is a real threat is one of these reasons. It seems that even our left-wing media is starting to get there.

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment