Friday, January 14, 2011

My Israel

Paula R. Stern
A Soldier's Mother
07 January '11

(While this was from last erev-Shabbat, I just couldn't let it pass by. Y)

Sometimes in all the rush of describing my life as a soldier's mother, I forget to describe one of the fundamental, constants in my life. It is an interesting day with so much going on. I'm developing a cold...I hate being sick. My oldest daughter is sick, and I hate that too. We have plans for Saturday night - on two fronts. Our Davidi turned 15 and we want to share that event with the more extended family. Secondly, our son-in-law has decided to go into the army.

For the last few years, he's been on a side program for learning. Many, too many, in Israel decide for one reason or another to avoid the army. I would say there are as many secular Jews in Israel that avoid the army as there are very religious ones. But too often, it is only the religious Jews that receive the brunt of the criticism for this decision.

For years, I felt that at very least, the very religious were replacing the army service with another kind of service - praying for the land and our well-being. The longer Elie served, the harder this concept became for me and I don't think I was very good at hiding this at all. I believe we all live in this land; we all benefit from what it has to offer. If you are capable of serving and choose not to, that brings into question your right to be here. I don't care what kind of service you do - whether it be in the army, the national service, or some other organization.

(Read full "My Israel")

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment