Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Noble Gesture against the British Academic Boycott of Israel

Daphne Anson
16 November '10

The eminent British cardovascular physiologist Emeritus Professor Denis Noble CBE, FRS, has resigned from the University and College Union in protest at its discriminatory attitude and double standards towards Israel, an attitude which he now believes is motivated by antisemitism. His letter to the union’s general secretary, Sally Hunt, is printed in the Oxford Magazine, and I reproduce it here from the website of the anti-academic boycott organisation Engage, run by London academic David Hirsh http://engageonline.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/open-letter-of-resignation where more details may be found.

'I joined the AUT nearly 50 years ago as a young assistant lecturer at University College London. When I retired from my Oxford professorship in 2004 I chose to retain my membership – although I no longer stood to gain from the union’s negotiating any improvements in salary or conditions of service – because I believe in trade unions and thought that by remaining a member I would, in some small measure, help colleagues. But the behaviour of UCU over the past several years has made it impossible for me to continue, and I now resign my membership.

(Read full post)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment