Monday, September 13, 2010

Sderot


Stephen Hoffman
Sderot Media Center
12 September '10

Two video clips caught my attention last week which reminded me of the constant suffering of the people of Sderot. Whilst Gaza is always in the news, the hardship of those who have lived in Sderot - right next to the Gaza Strip - for the past five years is wantonly ignored. I am ashamed to say that before watching these clips, I had put the suffering of the people of Sderot to the back of my mind.

The similarities between them and the people of Gaza also came back to me - while the people in Gaza are enslaved by their own leaders; the people of Sderot are enslaved by those same leaders.



For five years the people of Sderot have faced a daily barrage of rockets and mortars. Schools have closed down, psychological as well as physical damage has been done and worst of all I am reminded of what the Mayor of Sderot once said at a JNF event that I attended earlier in the year: 'children have had their childhood taken away'. Whilst we in the west can take our children outside to the playgrounds, take them to school and let them play football the children of Sderot can only dream of this.

(Read full story)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

1 comment: