Saturday, June 19, 2010

Will We Defend Israel?


Ed Koch
realclearpolitics.com
17 June '10
Posted before Shabbat

Readers of my commentaries know that I usually send one a week. Last week, however, I sent two because the Helen Thomas incident occurred after I had finished my regular weekly article, and I thought the Thomas affair required a response from me. I called for her to step down, which she did.

Occasionally, readers say that I write too much regarding the hostility directed toward Israel, particularly by the United Nations. My reply is this: shouldn't I defend Israel when I believe it is being unfairly attacked day after day at the U.N. and throughout the world? Shouldn't I defend Israel when it is undeniably mistreated by the President of the United States, who enlisted me in his campaign in 2008 to campaign for him in Jewish communities in Florida? Shouldn't I defend Israel when I believe much of the anti-Israel invective is actually a manifestation of anti-Semitism, which is rising throughout the world?

I have been disappointed in President Obama's actions towards Israel, and I have also been dismayed by the lengthy acquiescence of members of Congress to Obama's actions, particularly Jewish members of Congress in both the House and Senate. When the members of both House and Senate finally spoke up and voiced their differences with the President --albeit through letters addressed to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton - the President got the message. In total, 333 House members and 76 senators signed the protest letters. I was surprised by the names of those who did not sign. Key among those missing signatures was that of John Kerry, former presidential candidate of the Democratic party who ran against George W. Bush in 2004 and lost by three million votes.

(Read full article)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment