Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I lied...


Paula R. Stern
A Soldier's Mother
22 December 09

I wrote that I was on the fence between two sides of a debate about Gilad Shalit. One side is ready to do all that is necessary to finally bring him home; one side refuses to trade 1,000 terrorists and murderers for one Israeli soldier. Between the two are many who want so desperately to see Gilad home and yet understand so completely what will happen if this trade is confirmed. I wrote that I sat there on the fence because...because it is the easiest place to be.

To stand on the side willing to trade 1000 for Gilad means to accept responsibility not if, but when, these terrorists kill again. It means knowing that Gilad's parents will celebrate and Gilad will come home...and in the future, even the near future, other parents will know the sorrow of Gilad's parents...but the price will be 2,000.

To sit on the side against the trade means to accept responsibility that Hamas may kill Gilad and worse, they may say they did...and then that they didn't...and then that they did...and then that they didn't. And each time will be agony; each will be unbearable sorrow. I means knowing Gilad may never come home.

To sit in the middle is to say I understand both sides, agree with both sides and can't make up my mind because it is too painful.

But, the truth is...I lied.

(Read full post)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment