Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Easy Way to Heaven on Earth

The Easy Way to Heaven on Earth

The principle is really quite simple. G-d lays it out clearly in this week's Torah portion, Bechukotai (Leviticus 26: 3-12)First, we have the condition:If you walk in My statutes, and keep My commandments, and do them; Second, the economic reward:Then I will give your rains in their season, and the land shall yield her produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. And your threshing shall reach unto the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto the sowing time; and you shall eat your bread until you have enough, Third, the security reward:And you will dwell in your land safely. Followed by the reward of peace:And I will give peace in the land.Now, G-d goes on to explain what constitutes "peace:"And you shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid; and I will cause evil beasts to cease out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land. Wait a second! Doesn't peace mean eating humous in Damascus? Isn't peace two states for two peoples? Doesn't peace mean becoming the Singapore of the Middle East? Doesn't it mean painful concessions?G-d now elaborates on "peace:"And you shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. And five of you shall chase a hundred, and one hundred of you shall chase ten thousand; and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.It looks like Torah peace means swift victory with no casualties. That's peace?Yes, that is peace. Peace is not assimilation a la Shimon Peres. Peace is not "engaging" evil, but rather eradicating evil – even and especially when there is no immediate threat. It is in that case that we justify our existence as a sovereign nation in the Land of Israel.And I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you; and will establish My covenant with you. And you shall eat old store long kept, and you shall bring forth the old from before the new. And I will set My tabernacle among you, and My soul shall not abhor you. And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and you shall be My people.
Shabbat Shalom,

Moshe Feiglin

No comments:

Post a Comment